Thursday, June 19, 2008

They baffle me

It seems like everywhere I go (on the web) these days, I can't seem to escape someone talking about how incredibly hot it is to run in the afternoons. I read it on blogs, I read it in running forums, I read it in comments sections of Runner's World articles - it's everywhere. (no I'm not singling you out, Sadie. In fact, your latest entries are definitely not the reason why I'm writing this, because your cold vs hot applies almost entirely to morning runs too. Well, except the sun screen part!) I have thought about this many times while running these last few weeks, and just getting to it now.

Personally, I can't quite understand why anyone in their right mind chooses to run or be outside doing whatever exercise at 5 or 6pm. Heck, even 7pm at night is ridonkulous.

I mean, why anyone would prefer to stay up late wasting their life watching some meaningless talk show like David Letterman, or some re-run comedy, or reading some trashy gossip magazine, o whatever else is on past 10pm on TV, instead of going to bed, then getting a good run, gym workout, swim before work, is something I just don't understand.

And if you add staying up playing Xbox, Playstation, Wii, Computer poker or what-have-you till 1am, so you sleep till the very latest possible time, in order to then go to work, and then have to face the ridiculous heat... well, i'm completely baffled.

Then again, I hope everyone reading this disagrees with me and continues in their ways, because i really enjoy sharing the roads, trails and Barton Springs with only a hand full of people!

Come to think of it... keep up the good work staying up late, and don't EVER switch your habits to being a morning person!!!

(Disclaimer - Yes, I know some of you have kid duties that impede your ability to do anything in the AM. You don't count.)

5 comments:

Shorey said...

I am not yet acclimated to getting up at 4:45am to get things "taken care of" before a long run (athough I used to be when I had morning training group stuff). It's also a little too dark for a decent bike ride at that time, but you're right. The early morning hours are definitely the best time to avoid the heat and get your miles in. Guess I need to start weaning myself off a sleeping in a little...sh*t.

brownie said...

I hear you on that one. Though you'll never find me whining about the heat. And that was the case when I lived in TX too. That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

The best is when you start early, then run all friggin' day, continue running at night, then realize early the next day that you've been running for 24 straight hours - and you have a long way to go...

Sadie J said...

No offense taken...I know you weren't singling me out.

I choose to run in the heat. I think it makes me stronger in the long run.

Along with the folks with babies, what about those of us with night-owl spouses? If I'm in bed by 9:30 for my morning run, we might not see each other much (in the evening or the morning).

Amy said...

Greetings from Coeur d'Alene Idaho, where the high is in the mid-70's. When I do my long run in the morning, temperature will be in the low 50's. Plus it is dry here. Just thought I'd throw that in there :)

The only good thing about running in the evening in Austin is that the humidity is much lower. So your sweat actually does what it's supposed to - EVAPORATE - to cool you off, instead of just making you all wet and disgusting.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Dionn said...

And I'd like to point out that...

oh wait..the disclaimer.

Never mind.