Monday, November 2, 2009

Contradictions are the great, but beer reigns supreme!

My feet hurt. Actually... The correct terminology is "my fascias are friggin' screaming at me". The afternoon and night post race they were tingling. At first I thought it was the angle I had them resting on my beer cooler, then that my warm socks were too tight hampering blood circulation, etc. Eventually, the tingling stopped as beer consumption increased.

Well, 48hrs later, they still hurt from the royal beating I submitted them to this weekend on those highly technical and rocky trails.

Anyway, I self diagnosed it as: "royal fascia beatdown by trail" (RFBT), and I have jokingly chuckled to myself thinking I should have run barefoot since it's the newest craze for people with foot problem. Right? I mean, am I right?! Of course I'm right! I should be running barefoot to avoid "royal fascia beatdown by trail"!!
Fast forward to today, and this answer to a runners world "ask the doc" question about sore feet after this weekend's marathon:

" Run in a well cushioned shoe. Unless you plan on winning the race, racing flats or old worn out shoes which have lost their cushion will cause this problem. Remember my "change shoes every 500 miles" rule so that your shoes are not too old or worn."

So what is it? Should I run barefoot to not be in pain, or should I add more padding to not be in pain?!

Bonus question: That same Runner's World doc continues to say: "...you may (also) take a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory unless your doctor has told you.."
So my question is... Does beer qualify as an NSAID? If it doesn't, my experiment on Saturday night sure says it should.

6 comments:

brownie said...

The 500 mile rule is from the shoe companies who want you to buy shoes more often.

MW said...

interesting you should say that...

i have 455 miles on my trail shoes and they aren't even close to retirement. However, i start to feel my road shoes dying under me after 300 miles, and can't stand to run in them for more than 350.

brownie said...

Nike loves you for buying new shoes every 1.5 months.

I've gone 1000 miles in some of my trail shoes.

MW said...

nike makes running shoes that last more than 100 miles?!?!?

brownie said...

I had almost 1000 road miles in my last pair of Pegasus.

Damon said...

congrats man! great report by the way.