Friday, January 22, 2010

The search for the Taco

When I lived in Mexico, I LOVED Tacos al Pastor.





Above are photos of the authentic thing. So deliciously, so good. Pork meat marinade and seasoned then grilled on a rotational thing, served with cilantro, onion, lime, small pineapple pieces and sauces on the side.

Here in Austin, it's been a long journey to find one that at minimum comes close to the taste. The look is hard because no one makes them on the rotator grill.

I came across a review for a place called Taqueria Star. Turns out it's a trailer not too far from me and the reviews on www.yelp.com claim they're outstanding. Problem is, no one knows what OUTSTANDING really means.



The trailer is on the corner of Riverside and Congress. Sometimes it's open, sometimes not. Look for the "open" flashing sign. Three failed attempts this week, but today, on my way to P Terry's they were OPEN!



The sign was promising so that what I ordered.

Turns out the lady hadn't gotten some ingredients delievered yet, and unfortunately she was waiting on Cilantro, and Limes. I have limes at home, so no biggie, but cilantro is a key component.
She offered to throw on some lettuce which I let her do.




The first taco, or what I would technically call a taquito, was good. Then as I ate more and more, after I ate the 4th one, I was very VERY happy. I added extra lime and salt and sauce to the last one and devoured it like I did the prior four. They were quite tasty, the flavor did have a hint of old Mexico, and I can only imagine that cilantro will make them even better. Now I wait and see if the stomach has an averse reaction to them! Hahaha. Sure hope not or tokorrow's 24 mile road run will be quite interesting.



Taqueria Star's Tacos al Pastor get a solid B with potential for an B+/A- upon my next visit assuming they have all the add-ons on site. That quite exciting because up until now, only Gueros had gotten a B.

The search has yielded a great and flavorful taco, but the journey to find the one that will trump them all continues...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I do love a bit of rotisserie elephant leg.