Sunday, March 4, 2012

Sunday Food Work

My buddy Mike had a good point when I told him I spent 4.5 hours building two beds, double-digging (aerating) the soil, and adding more rich soil.
That doesn't take into account the 45 mins it took to fill 15 bags of soil and compost and also the 30 mins at Home Depot deciding length and type of wood I would use. Even Karma thought I was crazy, but then again, he was glad I found a little room for him to come along all afternoon so he could nap in the shade.
Too bad it's only half my plot and as soon as my lettuce, arugula and spinach dies off, I will do the second half.
(the point Mike made was, this wasnt grunt work, this was Food Work. And just like that, it all felt worthwhile.)

Tomorrow I go back and plant 7 tomatoes (2 cherry, 1 yellow pear, 1 green zebra, 2 Roma and 1 Heinz.). The latter three for pasta sauce making.
Also plan on planting cucumber, squash, zucchini, radishes, eggplant, bell peppers, sunflowers, peas, and maybe have a go at a watermelon. Yeah... This is gonna be great.

(Here's a link to double-digging : http://www.vegetablegardener.com/item/2873/double-digging )

1 comment:

Amy said...

Looks great, Mike!