I worked on a sail boat in Hawaii during my college years. It was a 59 foot all wood America's Cup prototype boat built in 1928.
On my off days, I would sail on the fastest (at the time) boat in Honolulu. It was fun to race on it, because we would win quite often, even though we started 3 minutes behind the 2nd to last boat. (They handicap boats with time at the start, so that all sail boats are in the same race.)
Due to this sailing, I really enjoy following the America’s Cup races that happen every 2 to 5 years depending on when the defending champion nation decides to host the next race.
The defending champion gets to race in the finals in the America’s Cup.. This year that will start on June 23rd.
All the Challengers, I think there were 13 or 14 boats this year, compete in what is called the Louis Vuitton Cup.
The Louis Vuitton cup has been going for the last couple of months, and finally ended yesterday. The winner of this cup gets to compete against the Cup defender in the Americas Cup in a best of 9 sail off.
On June 23rd, there will be a true clash of the titans. You see, Australia, and New Zealand are two America’s Cup crazed nations. I’d include the US, but they haven’t shown a single result on Sportcenter, and people really don’t give a crap about sailing here, unless you live in New Port Rhode Island, or Seattle, or maybe San Francisco.
But yours truly, has been watching the Louis Vuitton cup, and loves it. It’s on the channel formerly known as OLN, now called Versus. (470 for those of you on Time Warner Austin. ) One race lasts about 2.5 hours. I’d watch about 45 mins worth at lunch, then go home and watch the rest after work. (and no one knew about this, because you’d all think I was weird if I said, “I have to go home and watch Sailing”)
4 years ago, it was held in New Zealand, as New Zealand was the defending champ. Their kickass captain 8 years ago was this dude, Russell Coutts. Coutts is a legend in New Zealand. Or should I say… was a legend. You see, a team from Switzerland paid Coutts a butt load of money, invested millions in boat design, and went down to New Zealand and won the cup! What’s crazy here is that Switzerland is a land locked country!
Team Switzerland - Alinghi
Team New Zealand - Fly Emirates
So now, we wait till June 23rd when Team New Zealand faces Alinghi. I just don’t know who to root for! Can New Zealand gain back what they feel was stolen from them? Usually, I always cheer for New Zealand as I find it fascinating how a country of 4 million humans, and 80+ million sheep can be so good at Sailing and Rugby. But 4 years ago, I picked out team Alinghi from the very start, because I like the Coutts guy. Maybe I’ll just pop some pop corn, and watch and see what happens as 2 boats tack up wind, raise their spinnakers for the downwind legs and look for the strongest puffs of wind to lead them to victory! Sounds corny, but it's freaking fantastically interesting. Almost as exciting as the World Cup, but not quite.
Regardless, I can’t wait till Saturday the 23rd!!
Wanna read more about the America's Cup - Click here Great Pictures too.
2 comments:
Very cool, Wiley. I've always wanted to ride/work on a high seas sailer, so I'm jealous of your time in Hawaii! There's a 19th century tall ship that docks in Galveston that takes applications for folks to be on the working crew. Someday. Someday.
So, are you gonna have a viewing party? Will pirates be allowed?
Who knew you were such a freak for sailing. I don't know anything about it, but it's cool you do. Is that the real reason why you ran off and left us last night, sneaking in a little sailing before beddy-bye? :)
Post a Comment