Monday, March 17, 2008

SXSW for me

Austin was a host for the 20th anniversary of SXSW (south by southwest) Film and Music festival. I think about 800 bands from around the world participated this year, with many of them playing more than once.
In the 12 years I’ve lived here, I’ve never taken part of much of the SXSW stuff, other than the free shows at Auditorium Shores, a local big park. This has mostly been due to the fact that I didn’t want to pay $150 fore a wristband (that only guarantees you the ability to stand in line to possibly get in to a venue), or a $650 badge, that allows you to bypass the lines, and head straight in the door.

This year, the company I work for, traded software and services for badges to the event, so I did some decent research and got plugged in to my friends who follow music much much closer than I do. Long story short, I had a great time, but even though I had a badge, I ended up attending more free day shows that night shows.
The day shows is clearly where it’s at (if you ask me). They consist of record labels, and other media companies putting up “private parties” with free drinks and food. Private in a sense that you have to be on the list. I quickly learned that it’s all about RSVP’ing for every single day party so you can then have the option to attend the ones you want to. Yeasayer (picture)
I attended the NPR (National Public Radio) showcase at the Parish on Thursday Afternoon (Free beer and food – I didn’t eat any, but it was available), La Zona Rosa’s “Showdown” on Friday afternoon Vampire Weekend (picture)(Open bar, and free food all afternoon if you’re a VIP, which I was. I ate a ton of fajitas, and chips and queso, and drank my fair share of Miller Lites.), and on (Rachael Ray - Picture)Saturday, I spent the afternoon at the Beauty Bar for the Feedback / Rachael Ray party. This was a lethal party. Free drinks, including a never ending supply of Mojitos and beer, and the tastiest catered food I’ve ever witnessed. High end macaroni and cheese, 7 layer sliders (mini burgers), Short ribs, and Chicken “a la southwest. Saying that all this stuff was Super Tasty, is an understatement. I kind of wish I’d gone back for seconds, but the mojitos and beer took a hold of me once we went to listen to the bands.

This is the list of the bands/singers I saw over the 3 days.
Jens Lekman
AA Bondi
Yeasayer
Vampire Weekend
Body of War
Thieves like us
Working for a Nuclear free city
The Whip
The Cribs
The Black Keys (Sound track of our lives - picture)
The Soundtrack of our lives
Shearwater
Ryan Bingham
Allison
Basia Bulat
Foreign Born
Vampire Weekend
Raveonettes
The Cringe (with surprise guest Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top)
Scissors for lefty(scirrors for lefty - picture)
The Stills
Onion Creek Crawdaddies

I meant to go see these next few guys Saturday night, but kind of didn’t make it back out after the afternoon session. Something to do with a long and liquid afternoon, the 3rd day of endless standing up with a drink in hand, and a very comfortable couch.

Planning to rock
Monotonics
Jim Noir
Nada Surf
The Donnas
Los Campesinos
Tokyo Police Club

Next year, I doubt I’ll have a badge again, but it doesn’t matter. I’ll take my chances with just signing up for the free afternoon parties and drink and eat for free in a ‘not so crowded’ environment like the night shows. Plus, it’s pretty much the same bands.(Onion Creek Crawdaddies)

And my #1 tip for anyone ever planning on doing this in year’s future goes as follows:
1- Find yourself a friend that lives a mile from the downtown chaos and park your car there. (Thanks Erin!)
2- Get a bike (and a bike lock) and bike downtown.
3- Zip around from bar to bar, locking your bike on a post.
4- Keep your wallet and car keys in your pocket, as you won’t need cab money and won’t have to worry about driving around or looking for parking!

Lesson learned: Next year, bring ear plugs, and go back to la zona rosa's day party!!!!

2 comments:

Jane said...

Mike! I saw you walkiing on West 6th near Woodrow's on Fri night (bike in tow). I yelled your name, and swear that you heard it...but it was too crowded for you to see me. Just wanted you to know that I saw you - glad it was a fun time!

Randy said...

You missed it by almost half, Mike! 1700 bands, and my ears are still ringin'