Monday, May 19, 2008

Yeah, uh, give me a provo wit

I'm off to Philadelphia for a few days for work.

Apart from running around Fairmont Park, and then running up the rocky steps at the Museum of Art, and yes, (making a fool out of myself when i reach the top by bouncing up and down with my arms up like i just beat Sonny Liston), is to go eat an original Cheesesteak at Geno's.



But, there's Cultural Etiquette to be aware of...

From Geno's Website:

"A Word of Warning!

Be prepared and know how to order, because the service is fast and the line keeps moving. For example, on a cheese steak with onions specify which kind of cheese you'd like (Provolone, American or Cheese Whiz). By the time you have given your order, your money will be taken and your sandwich will be out the window nice and hot! At the next window you can pick up your soda, fries and coffee. Geno's is open 24 Hours a Day, 7 Days a week."



Some South Philadelphia cheesesteak stands provide a defined protocol for ordering, consisting of the desired cheese and whether fried onions should ("wit") or should not ("witout," "widdout") be added. A common order in South Philadelphia is "Whiz, wit", meaning a cheesesteak with Cheez Whiz and fried onions. "Wit" (or "wid") is an approximation of the South Philadelphian pronunciation of "with," which is how the word is actually spelled on some menus. For example, "Give me a provo wit," is an order for a cheesesteak with provolone cheese and fried onions on top.[11] Orders for additional toppings, such as sautéed mushrooms or peppers, are typically done through a change of the name of the sandwich; i.e. "I'd like a pepper whiz wit", for a sandwich with peppers and onions and Cheez Whiz.

I need to practice...
Give me a provo wit
Give me a provo wit
Give me a provo wit
Give me a provo wit
Give me a provo wit


With my luck, I'll choke once I get to the front of the line, and get ridiculed. Then when they ask me where I'm from, I'll say Texas, and they'll punch me in the mouth for thinking I'm a Cowboy's fan. So instead, I think I'll say:
"I'm from Austin, but I'm NOT a cowboys fan."

3 comments:

Shorey said...

That's pretty funny

Slingshot said...

Hehe, you'll have to let us know how your order goes. And post a picture of the "provo wit"!

When I saw the blog title I thought "what is Wiley talking about Provo, Utah for?" :)

brownie said...

Pat's is ten times better than Geno's. I used to live in Philly.