Saturday, August 16, 2008

24.2 mile Saturday - The fasting

Just like Jimi Hendrix uses his fingers on the guitar to be considered a virtuoso, I put my feet on the ground one in front of the other to stick out in a crowd of average runners.
It's getting so easy to run these days, that yesterday I decided to limit my food intake, and see how I could do on today's 24 miler with mere mortals. (Kidding of course about doing this on purpose)
I ate a 1/2 turkey sandwixh at 12:15pm for breakfast, and then my only meal of the day at 5pm at the Dallas airport. When i finally got home at 9pm, i ate two waffles and a cupcake. (Erin was nice enough to not only dog sit Karma for the day, but also, as she went and bought some Polkadot cupcakes to take to her clients, she picked me some super food too for my Saturday run. Thanks, Erin!)

Today I learned why having a good group of people to run with, is essential. I didn't feel comfortable with my running until well into an hour. I think I kept running tight thinking about my lack of food intake, and was nervous that i would bonk, or simply run out of steam. (lets not forget that, even though I've been running 20, 22 and 24 milers for month now, it's still 3+ hours of running, and twentyfour long miles, or thirty eight kilometers.
Something hysterically funny happened along Great Northern, where we all laughed for a long time, and somehow that is exactly what I needed. It's not even worth explaining it, because it's one of those silly things that comes up during a long run, that isn't funny to anyone, but those who are there. However, it loosened me up, and allowed me to run through 20 miles. I then definitely felt the lack of fuel in my body, but was still able to easily keep going. (to that make sense? guess it's the fitness, and energy stores)
I let Ken, Charles, Larry, Jim, and Ramon take off on our usual last few miles pickup, as there was no need to push with no fuel. Bruce, Jason and I did pick up the pace for the last mile or so, and although, I don't know for sure, i'm pretty certain that we finished with a mile in the low 7's if not under 7 as we had an all out sprint for a couple hundred yards at the end.
All in all a great run, considering my lack of food. (Special thanks to Geezer for being proud of himself. You saved my run! Good Job!)

Took a 3 bag ice bath when i got home, and cooked up some tasty pasta.
A long nap, and now i'm ready to sit on my couch for many hours while watching the last few Swimming finals, track and field, but most especially the Women's Marathon. YEAH!

Tomorrow I'll run some more miles to reach my second consecutive century week, and third of the season. This one's felt REALLY easy to accomplish, as the midweek massage rejuvenated my legs. I know know how the pros do it. Massages massages massages!

FYI - LEO races at 8am Austin time Sunday morning in his 1,500 meter Semifinal.

3 comments:

Shorey said...

good job! me? not so much. well, the pace was good, i'll at least say that

Sadie J said...

You forgot to mention the person you saw by the bank on 46th street who cheered you and your group on! Glad you were able to get through your run.

erin said...

what made you think those cupcakes were for you?