Sunday, February 15, 2009

Austin Marathon Workout : C +


(Click to enlarge)

Run Time : 3:10:16  = 7:16/mile  (but it doesn't really matter at all)

Summary:
The goal was to create a tough workout where I could use the support from the race.
I was happy with my run when i finished, because the time was decent.  
But looking at it from a workout persepctive, putting it all down next to goal times and the course, I now remember much more, and truth be told, it was an unsuccessful workout:

The positives:
  • I ran well in the hills! ha
  • I hung in there and kept going.
  • I tried to find positives on the course to change my mindset.
  • I never caught the 3:10 pace group, even with the side stitch, but, I could see them ahead, and only 1 person passed me in the last 2 miles. Batman.
The negatives:
  • Lots of mental lapses where I just didn't care about paces, even considering just slowing down to run for fun.
  • A terrible side stich (as i wasn't racing, i just got off the course and let it go away)
  • I couldn't run my paces to the finish.  My legs were mush by mile 17, but I did what I could.
  • It was very hard to put myself into the correct mentail place, as it never felt like it mattered.
  • I got beat by Batman.  This guy in a batman costume wanted it more.
I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but once I got to the very late miles (22+), I didn't really care to dig a deeper hole and kill myself further, as I knew this wasn't even a "B" race, and I have a tough week ahead of me, and a TOUGH run next Saturday.  

To grade this in terms of executing a workout, I give myself no more than a "C+".  I'm more than happy with several aspects of today, but I also failed miserably at other things.  

Honestly, I'm wishy washy over this.  On one hand, I know I let up and could have stretched it, on the other hand I didn't execute and wasn't strong mentally.  
Today I feel like I'm far from running a sub-3 hour marathon in Boston.  But Boston 2009 is not necessarily my sub 3 hour race, and I've told anyone who has asked precisely that.  

66 days to figure things out, and next Saturday will be a perfect place to REFRAME!!  
Stay tuned....


3 comments:

Amy said...

*hug*

Dionn said...

REFRAME!!

Although I think at 3:10 is pretty damn impressive!!!! Nice WORK!

(and you don't even look Ethiopian!)

kirsten said...

I liked your eval of your workout. That's half the battle - sitting back and learning from the experience. Good job!