Tuesday, November 24, 2009

And then he called me a "Slow Trail Runner"

Second Tuesday in a row that I've joined my road running friends. These Tuesdays are shaping up to be some highly contested runs, instead of an easy run to get miles in. Today the pace got a little hectic right from the start with nothing but sub 8min miles. (Usually, the first two miles or so are in the mid 8's to warm up). We really pushed the pace, and since i'm kind of "all in" for 1 speed run a week, i figured these long tempo runs are just what the Doctor ordered.

Here's how we did according to Damon's GPS:

739
746
714
715
710
716
721
711
702
721
712
608
703

Did I mention it was a hilly course? Here are miles 2 - 9...


We spend these runs giving each other a hard time ALL RUN LONG. Everything is fair game, the jokes, the mocking and even the sailor mouths running rampant at times.
We had all joked about how the last three miles would be easy paced, staying at what we were currently running, and we all pretty much agreed to be done with the hard running for the day until a) damon and Andrew decided to take the lead, then B) Jason called me a "Slow Trail Runner".
Slowly the pace picked up between Damon and Andrew, and then that little comment simmered in my head until it boiled over and I dropped the hammer. 6:08 for that mile, so ... "Slow trail runner, my ass!"
Then an easy cooldown mile back to Rogue.

Total run: 13.15 miles in 1:34:34 (7:12 avg)

Not too shabby!

My hamstrings did better today than last week, but my knee is bugging me since last week's fall. Today there was definitely some discomfort throughout the entire run. It's not broken, but hopefully next week's easy schedule will help it some. If not, hopefully the 2 weeks of taper before my race will heal it. If it gets any worse than what it is doing right now, i'll go to the doc. If not, i'll just let it work itself out.


Tempo Tuesday
Titanic Tuesday
Testosterone Tuesday
Hammer Tuesday
... still looking for a good name for these runs...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like "Testosterone Tuesday". It was a great run, it was obvious after the first two miles that it was going to be a "race" in the making today.

brownie said...

Wow, that hill from mile 2.5 to mile 3.75 must rise at least 150 feet.

FYI, concerning your post below, I was in the "skinny" clydesdale division, 170 to 184 pounds. But I think they used some age/weight calculator and I ended up in second place.

MW said...

i said hills, not colorado mountains, smackass.

you know you're impressed, you just feel the need to give me shit, fatso.

i always thought Clydesdale was 200lb or more. that's funny.

brownie said...

I've never seen clydesdale below 190 pounds before Tulsa.

closethegap said...

Dude, mile 12, 608. I was hoping that was a typo. I bet you guys looked pretty funny running thru down town at that pace!

Kevin said...

Testosterone Tuesdays are exhilerating (sp?)

K