Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Worst sportsmanship I've ever seen.

Say all you want and laugh all you want over Badminton as a sport.
I played it "competitively" high school (british school) at our ridiculously low level, and even then it was still super hard and demanded an incredible amount of fitness. 

Moving on, surely you've heard about the Olympic controversy in Badminton and how the players purposely played to lose the games.  This link has the footage and as a big sports fan I can say that this is the worst display of sportsmanship i have ever seen in my entire life.  A slap in the face to every team they beat in the Olympics and also to every team they played to make it into the games. 

This link has video footage of the pathetic display.  It took the IOC a few hours to review, discuss and disqualify them.  I personally think it's not enough, and that they should be banned for 4 years of international play, to discourage this behavior in this and any other sport.  
Yes, I know many multi-player team sports purposely don't play their stars if they have already qualified within group play, but this is different.  This is a blatant attempt at throwing of the match.  I'd even consider banning the Nation from the next Olympic games.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blogs/badminton/all-eight-women-disqualified-for-throwing-badminton-matches.html  




No comments: