So we have a great catchup on life lunch, drum up a few business ideas to make the world a better place, etc. You know, a typical day for me... and then the bill comes.
And the chick says: I'll be ready to take care of this for you when ever you're ready. So both Sally and I immediately said, ok, you can take care of it now then. I mean, she said she'd pay, right!? (I know, not funny, but we laughed anyway.)
Here's the reason for this post. We paid our own way. Go ahead, tell me how pathetic i am for making a woman pay for lunch, and I'll answer with: She's married, and has two young children.
So my bill for the #4 special is $9.52 hers is $8.64.
We BOTH put down a $20 each and told her we were splitting checks. No problem she says.
We get our moneys back and I get a five and five ones, and Sally gets a 5 and six ones. Ummm.... I don't do lunch at restaurants very often, and it's actually been probably a year since I last paid with cash, but... since when is it okay for the waitress to just not even bother to bring me my 48 cents and Sally her 36 cents we are owed??
Surely it's not the waitress pocketing my money, and instead it's Chuy's that has decided to not use coins anymore, right!?!?
So then... if your restaurant is not going to deal with coins anymore, shouldn't you round DOWN the bill, and not UP?
Or was this my way of helping the local economy?
or should I just label my waitress as a thief?
I mean, if I was paying the whole thing, maybe it was her way to flirt with me or something, but she also took Sally's change!!
I'm still confused on how that went down.
please weigh in...
2 comments:
You are being picky. Since she took the trouble to serve you lunch and split your check (as per individual order and not just down the middle), the change can be considered an advance on her tip. Granted, you should be able to determine exactly how much to leave her - $1.48, $2.00,
$2.48, whatever, she probably didn't have access to the change and it is assumed she will get the change as part of the tip in situations like these. (I think there was a little Q&A piece on this exact situation a while back in the Austin paper.)
The question is - How much did you end up tipping her on a $9.52 order? :)
It was likely a pre tip and should have been adjusted for upon tipping. So, instead of getting $5 for her tip, she gets 4 and the change she swiped from you in the first place.
Post a Comment