Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Super Special Customer discount.

In the recent past I made a decently large furniture purchase at a local store.
At the register, I jovially joked with the girl:

- Oh, I almost forgot... I was told that I should ask you about giving me that special customer discount on that.
- Oh really?! who told you that?
- I forget who it was, but I'm sure she was a store manager, over there in the back somewhere. (smirk)
- Hmmm... what kind of discount?!
- I dunno, you know, those really large discounts you give to super special customers!
- I'm not sure I have any of those... *laugh*... *pause*.... are you part of our Email newsletter?
- No, why, does that help?
- Yeah, if you are, you would get a 10% discount coupon by email.
- Bummer, I'm not, and I guess even if I gave you my email now, it'd be too late, huh?
- Naah, what's your email? I'll hook you up.

And there you have it. Sure 10% isn't much if you're buying a $9 something or other, but when your bill 10 times more, that 10% discount paid for my Taxes + another 1.75% more.

If you don't ask, you won't ever get!!

P.S. You can use the same approach to get a hotel room with a nice view. Works everytime unless they're fully booked.

No comments: