Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Austin Marathon Fartlek

Here's a preliminary plan of what my Austin Marathon workout will look like: 
  • Start my easy long run pace at a 3:20-3:25 marathon pace
  • Attack the 7 miles of mid hills at a 2:55 marathon pace
  • Recover for 3 or 4 miles at 3:18-3:20 pace
  • Gradually attack again  
  • HARD CLOSE
It's going to be rough... but i'll give it a whirl!

(click on it to make it larger) 

Oh, I almost forgot, if things go as planned/expected, I'll be inviting Brownie to jump on to the train somewhere between mile 19 and 25.5.  He's never seen a close like the ones I'm capable of... so hopefully he has the "get up and go" to pick up the pace and squeak in below a 3:10 for his BQ.   

At those exact paces, I come in right around a 3:09, a minute off my CIM time.  
A PR is not the goal, a test of fitness in the hills, and recovery for a strong close is the goal.

Who's with me?!

2 comments:

brownie said...

Just race the fucking thing already! And there are no hills on the course to test your fitness.

Priscilla said...

Wow, sounds like fun. Doesn't it bother you that you're 1 minute away from PR'ing though??? I think I'd be tempted to PR if I were that close...