Wednesday, February 4, 2009

When life gets in the way... you adjust.

I had an important meeting at 8:30am on Tuesday and another one at 8:30am this morning, which meant that I couldn't run with the group early on. Not that our runs last till that late in the morning, but I kind of like time to prepare before meetings, and I don't want to feel any bit tired or feel rushed when the meeting is important. I'm happy to report that both meetings went well.

So yesterday I missed the group 16 mile medium long run. Mid afternoon, I came up with an idea that worked to perfection! I met my old coach and friend Panther at 4:30pm for a run. At 5:45, his current group training for Austin and Boston met up, so I ran with them to the track and then while they did their workout, I ran the track to get extra mileage. I was able to get 5 miles in on the track. The only issue was the miles on the track were fast as it's hard to run easy when going in circles, and the return from the track was painful as Jo Dee and AJ were racing each other home. So I ended up with 16.5 miles with 5 miles of 7:30, 7:10, 6:20, 7:00 and 6:50 on the track followed by mid sevens on the run home, instead of nice recovery miles after my track workout.

This morning I caught wind that Lulu was hopping on the greenbelt today, and I talked her into going at 10:30am with me and Karma instead of at 3pm as she had originally planned. We ran the same loop I ran on Monday, and i'm glad to report that Karma had much more energy on the backstretch than he did on Monday, and even had enough giddy up to dash into the trees to chase after a roadrunner on our way back along the dreaded powerline. Karma ran 5 plus miles two times in a row like a champ, so my next Greenbelt outing with him, will be an attempt at 7 miles! (as long as the weather stays cool)

So, what I thought would be 2 days of crap running, turned out to be 2 days of great running! That's all I got for today.

Happy Running.

1 comment:

Lulu said...

It was great seeing you guys :)