Sunday, September 25, 2011

Decent long run, but not enough.

Weather cooperated which was a big plus.
My buddy Ross went for 40miles while I wanted 35. He got 41, I got 34.
It's one of those where you think you have it mapped out correctly and next thing you know you're 5 miles shy of where you thought you'd when you get back to one of the intermediate points; so instead of having an easy 6 left, you now have 11 miles.
So you improvise and head back up northbound, and stop at restaurants asking for water refills. And then you get to Jester Building on UT Campus with 5 to go. I know how to easily get 3.5 from there, I've done it hundreds of times; but have no set 5 miler back to the mystical magical waters of Barton Springs. And so you try and improvise, you take the north side of the Hike and Bike trail instead of deserted roads (having to fight walkers, strollers, uncontrolled puppies, idiots, cyclists etc).
But then you arrive within a mile of destination and it's very apparent that you are 2.5 miles short of 35. So you still try.
But honestly, by mile 31, your legs were heavy, tired, and your feet were sore. They're still sore from the prior weekend's music festival. (you knew walking barefoot on those grass fields probably wasn't ideal, but it felt so good)

So you try and add more, one more loop around Zilker park... Nope, not gonna happen. 34 will have to suffice. You just don't have the fitness for more... (or yet.)

I know what you're thinking. And I am thinking it too.

But the 34 were pretty darn good.
 Average pace was 8:37min/mile.
It's the farthest I've ever run on asphalt.
It's the farthest I've run since pre-injury (june 2010).
Farthest since May 2010 - grand canyon 48miles. So i'm pleased.

Just wasn't enough.
And the legs were way to shot by 31.

42 on the week. Took Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri off due to Music Festival that wiped my legs out.
Thursday's run was dead leg central!
Two weeks to recover before Zion Traverse

No comments: